Saturday, June 2, 2012

A perfect summer day/weekend

It's basically been a year since I last posted a real post. And I've been waiting for the right moment to kick start this blog again. I've actually missed the opportunity to share my movie, foodie, and Philly adventures with the "interwebs" (as my friend Noelle likes to call it). And after having such a perfect summer day to myself, I thought it'd be as good a time as any to start right now. Plus, I woke up after a three-hour food coma nap, and I couldn't think of a better way to stay up for another few hours. :)

The last few days have really made me appreciate what my *new* hometown has to keep me occupied -- athletically, culturally, socially, etc. As an independent person, who loves to do her own thing, I can't help but love a city that allows me to be who I want to be and do what I want to do. In my own time, at my own pace, according to my own beat. And even though I sometimes wish I could drive out to those places that are just beyond my reach, I end up realizing what I've always known -- that's what friends are for. (Thanks, Sophie & Shing, for your lovely invitations. I can't wait for Longwood Gardens!)

On Friday night, after a busy work week, I trekked across the city from West Philly to Center City, on my way to see Kristin Chenoweth in concert at the Academy of Music. The skies were grey, the clouds were ominous, and even the security guard said it was about to start raining at any moment. But I didn't care. I just donned my brown King Arthur Flour cap (with the word "bake" in baby pink) and started walking. Considering how much I hate rain, people are always surprised when I'd rather get wet than deal with an umbrella. There's something to be said though about connecting with nature by succumbing to the drizzle. Plus, I always know I love a city when I can walk in it in the rain. Paris, Melbourne, and Seattle -- all great examples of cities that feel like home.

As a West Wing, Wicked, *and* Glee fan, I was uber excited when I saw Kristin's name on a list of upcoming Kimmel Center performers. I was even more excited when I saw the name "KRISTIN" spelled out in bright lights on the big red curtain. Talk about dreams coming true. Aside from showcasing her amazing voice and personality, Kristin did right by Philadelphia in so many ways. She opened by talking about how her parents lived in Philadelphia for 12 years -- and then she whipped out a ginormous Wawa cup (which she proceeded to sip from the rest of the show). Of course, she incorporated cheesesteaks and hoagies into a song. And she even included two young girls (best friends) in her Wicked number. She was so very personal as well, sharing that she was adopted, with both her dad and brother being engineers. (Go science!) But I think one of the sweetest things she could've done and said was acknowledge how many people in the audience probably saved their pennies to hear her sing. And by the looks of those around me (and yes, I'm judging), it became clear how true that really was.

After the show, I donned my cap again, though I was happy to see that I'd missed any serious rainfall. I couldn't help but stop by Rita's Water Ice for a free sample of Sugar-Free Citrus Green Tea. Besides a bit of acidity, I couldn't detect any semblance of citrus green tea -- but at least the attendant gave me a big whopping sample. It's little luxuries like this that make for fun late night walks.

Waking up on Saturday morning after a deliciously long slumber, I noticed the leaves and the branches on the trees outside my window flapping in the wind. My first immediate thought: Great running weather! My second immediate thought: Do I really want to get up? Normally, I'd wake up on a Saturday morning and head to my outdoor class at Lithe Method (my current absolute favorite workout), but class was cancelled, so I had to self-motivate. Thankfully, I was in a good mood, well-rested, and wanting to see the river. Plus, I have the Color Run in a month, and I wanted to make sure I could actually get through 5K successfully. (Now all I have to do is find a white tank top!) So off I went for an actually pretty darn good run -- not too slow, not too fast, and all the way to the end of the boathouses and back. I felt quite accomplished.

As I was walking back, I loved having the spring/summer breeze on my face, and I thought it'd be lovely to check out the Rittenhouse Square Spring Fine Arts Show that I'd seen getting set up over the last few days. After a quick shower, I took a quick stroll through one corner of the show before racing off to the Marian Anderson Rec Center, where Philly Dance Fitness was hosting a free 2.5-hour dance party in the racquet ball court. My friend Ivana asked me whether I went with anyone, and I told her that no one ever (or rarely, at least) wants to come with me, plus I'd rather go by myself and not be embarrassed among strangers. She said I was comfortable in my own skin. I had to concur. I mean, it's not that I don't get embarrassed -- I'd just rather not dwell. It's like singing in the shower. You simply can't care too much. Plus, Deborah (the owner of the company) is so encouraging and hilarious that you don't even think about it. Class was awesome (as usual). And I can't wait till the mash-up workshop later this week! Gleekercise AND Old Skool Hip-Hop. Could it *be* any better?

Now that I'd gotten two workouts out of the way, I was starving. Thankfully, I had brunch at Rittenhouse Tavern with Chris and Amanda to look forward to. Set up in the back of the Philadelphia Art Alliance building (which I've been meaning to check out forever and still have yet to do), the restaurant opens out into a lovely backyard patio with additional seating. A feature so lovely that it boggles my mind that no other restaurant has been able to last in this space. We sat outside in the shade, and partook in some lovely nibbles with some lovely service. I ordered the caesar salad with artic char, which was SPECTACULAR, both in looks and flavors. The salad came out deconstructed, with the long spears of romaine lettuce lightly dressed and the perfectly prepared piece of artic char next to it. This piece of fish could not have been done any more perfectly -- super crispy skin, just cooked through meat, bright colors, nicely salted. I also ordered bacon (extra crispy), which came out as one long piece of thick-cut bacon (extra crispy). DIVINE.

Chris went with the turkey shnitzel (which came out with the perfect crust) and Amanda picked out the spinach omelette (which she was warned would be very green from the pureed spinach -- it ended up looking a bit like a green burrito). Apparently, both dishes were quite delicious as well. Iced coffee was the perfect accompaniment, and I even tried their non-alcoholic patio punch -- refreshing and not too sweet, just the way I like my summer drinks. We ended by sharing the flourless chocolate cake, which was not as dense as I expected. This was happy in some ways (because I didn't want it too dense) and disappointing in others (maybe because I expected it to be dense?). Either way, the combination with the creme anglaise and the creme fraiche was well-balanced. While the meal was delicious, it was definitely pricey, especially for brunch! I'd say a splurge worth having, but perhaps only once in a blue moon.

Somehow we ended up sitting and chatting for 2.5 hours (about work and school and how Dr. Seuss found his way into our lives), and as we noticed the staff cleaning up the last of the brunch tables, we decided not to overstay our welcome any more than we already had. It's rare to be able to sit and talk for that long without really noticing the time, so I was thankful for the fascinating company -- as well as the brilliant sunshine that dispelled all notions of hours and minutes passing. The lovely couple went off to stroll around the square, and I decided to finish up my tour of the fine arts show. While there were definitely some styles and modalities I was drawn to more than others, I couldn't help but be inspired by so many of the pieces being shown. I had a passing wish to buy something, but then again, I'd just bought a $500+ ticket to Calgary the night before, so I thankfully found ways to stop myself.

On my way home, I stopped to grab myself some yummy Yogorino -- a little something to serve as a light dinner. As I walked in, I noticed new friends John and Nathanael (and their friend Molly) hanging out on their stoop. While it's always nice to have friends as neighbors, it's even nicer to see them relaxing on a stoop. It's like one of those things from bygone days, or that only happen in small towns. And yet, Philly *is* a small town (at least compared to other much bigger towns), and this is just one example of how that plays out. It was a lovely picture, and I gravitated over with my Yogorino (medium with unsweetened hazelnut sauce, chopped hazelnuts, and dried coconut) in hand.

After an hour of scrumptious food talk about upcoming dinner plans (with mentions of Nomad, Taconelli, Cantina, and, of course, Shake Shack), we parted ways, with the boys headed to Sagami in NJ and Molly to Vic down the street. Having so many food lovers (and connoisseurs even) around me makes me really happy -- and makes me feel like I've really landed in the right place. As I was relishing the fabulous foodies around me, I proceeded to walk right back across the street for some more Yogorino (this time with the pistachio sauce). A lovely sentiment deserves a lovely treat.

Tomorrow's adventures include: an inaugural trip to the new Barnes Foundation campus, a possible trip to Philly Community Acupuncture, a late afternoon Body Combat workout, and a final Wilma Theater show (I think?) before my annual subscription runs out. And somewhere somehow, I need to find time to make headway in the SALT (Student Affairs Leadership Team) Book Club book (Moo by Jane Smiley). There's always so much to do. No wonder the summer days seem to float away as quickly as they come.

No comments: