As a pretty serious cheese lover, I decided to check out the Philly Cheese Experiment this weekend at World Cafe Live. Essentially, the event brought together 20+ amateur chefs to present their uniquely cheesy dishes, ranging from savory bites (the best of which involved bacon) to sweet treats (the best of which also involved bacon! OK, that's a lie, but some did well with the sweet and salty combination).
The cook-off took place on the lower level -- a spacious room that was perfect for this kind of more intimate foodie event. As soon as I checked in at will-call and picked up my drink ticket (for a Brooklyn Brewery beer that came with admission), I proceeded inside the room to get my snazzy sustainable bamboo plate and flatware (two thumbs up for supporting the green movement!), as well as my voting form (which also served as my event map).
On my immediate right was a long bar (presumably where all the Brooklyn Brewery beers were on tap), as well as a series of tables lined up nearby against a railing. As I stepped further in, I noticed a short set of stairs to my left leading to a big open area (that bore a slight resemblance to a mosh pit) where all of the competitors were situated. Their stations lined the outer edge of the space, with dishes proceeding from savory to sweet (though the line ended up going in the opposite direction!).
The judges -- Emilio Mignucci of Di Bruno Bros., Tony Luke, and wine representative Maria Valetta -- were seated on the right side of the stage, where the competitors brought their entries up for tasting and judging. As these were all amateur chefs, the event didn't come off as intense or stifling in any way. In fact, everyone was friendly and informative, often showing off their dishes with great excitement.
With fun music playing at just the right volume, a not-too-overwhelming crowd milling about, and delicious smells wafting through the air, I was ready to go. However, my friend Joe had yet to arrive, and so I had to wait. On a side note, I tend to enjoy some foodie events on my own, the same way I tend to enjoy some nice restaurants as a solo diner. However, I've found (in my *old* age) that fairs, festivals, and food competitions are *much* more exciting with good company (cue cheesy music).
As soon as Joe made it to will-call, we proceeded inside. We decided to stop off at the fresh cheese table first, where Chester County Cheese Artisans were showing off their wares. Joe was particularly impressed by a sharp provolone being offered with blueberry preserves, while I personally enjoyed a gouda topped off with apple raisin chutney, and a mixed sheep-goat cheese that resembled a brie or a camembert in terms of consistency.
After nibbling through our homemade cheese plates, Joe and I found the end of the line, which as I mentioned previously, seemed to go backwards. While we needed to down the ice creams before they melted, we were able to pile all of the proffered items on our plates before we reached the end of the line. These included interesting ice creams, several dessert items, some grilled cheeses, a few traditional dishes, and a handful of memorable bites.
After scoping out the room, Joe directed us upstairs so we could find somewhere to slowly savor our bounty. I'd totally missed the stairs going up, so I was glad to have brought a friend with me. The biggest complaint I have about these kinds of events is that there is never enough seating or tables to enjoy your food. This time, I was pleasantly surprised, as we found several high tables and chairs, where we could enjoy our food and look down at all of the action below.
As we proceeded around our plates, we came across several items that tasted fairly prosaic, including a cheese ravioli (that apparently had bacon in it, though we didn't taste it), and a mac 'n cheese sprinkled with panko and bacon. A bite of goat cheese that was apparently rolled in bacon and fried tasted mostly of, well, goat cheese. A cheesy version of a macaroon was way too soft to even be held, and completely overwhelmed by spices we couldn't recognize. A grilled cheese version of a Philly cheesesteak didn't come off well, especially with the steak being overcooked.
Despite several missteps, we were happily surprised by several items on our plates. Joe thoroughly enjoyed the fondue, which came with big hunks of beef, and most certainly tasted of beer. I personally found it a bit strong, but well, Joe likes his beer. I absolutely loved the grilled cheese with the butternut squash baked into the bread, which added interesting taste and texture, and complemented both the cheese and the bacon in the sandwich. While the offering came with tomato soup, it certainly didn't need it.
In terms of sweets, Joe was disappointed by the cannoli, especially since it was more shell than filling. As these were mini-cannolis, the shell to filling ratio is often a problem. On the other hand, he was completely enamored with the blue cheese ice cream that came with crumbled parmesan waffle cone pieces. I found the ice cream quite good as well, with the blue cheese flavor coming out more as an end note, and the waffle cone pieces providing just enough salty crunch. That said, I would've liked the parmesan flavor to come through a bit more.
While we left before they announced the results, I found out later that the winner was actually the Notorious Pie.Ro.Gi (oh yes, pun very much intended). Joe and I both thought this dish was pretty basic, but we obviously weren't the only ones voting. So that's that. And yet another successful foodie event completed. Voila!
http://thefoodexperiments.com/nationaltour/philadelphia/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
thanks for sharing your valuable information.
Appetisers
Post a Comment