As one who likes to bankroll New Line (and my friend's fiancé), I pretty much see everything that comes out of this film studio. And I pretty much pay to see them several times over, only to own them several months later. (And yes, I'm a fan of consumerism.) Valentine's Day may not necessarily be the exception, but I'll admit that it wasn't quite as good as Sex and the City and He's Just Not That Into You. (Sorry, Mark!)
Valentine's Day attempts to be an American version of Love Actually -- or at least has been referenced as such, opening on a holiday and being all about love and stuff. By comparison, I'd have to say that Love Actually does a much better job of plot and character development, creating more surprises through its subtle interweaving of story lines. With that said, however, Valentine's Day did offer one major surprise, which left me teary-eyed at the end.
As a whole, Valentine's Day is a perfect movie for Valentine's Day. On a day that celebrates cheese and sap, you WANT the best friends to end up together, you WANT the cute kids to end up together, you WANT the old couple to end up together, and you WANT the random singletons to end up together. To say you don't is pretty much blasphemy.
Ultimately, this movie offers little in the way of depth, but more than enough in terms of red, pink, and good-looking actors. All I have to say is this: McDreamy, McSteamy, and Bradley Cooper? What more could a girl want for Valentine's Day? OK, maybe some roses would be nice. No worries. Ashton has those covered.
http://www.valentinesdaymo
1 comment:
we've already talked about my various opinions about this movie - which is that I agree its less good than Love Actually, but some parts are sweet and I laughed a good amount. Those opinions notwithstanding, this is a terrific review! well done.
Post a Comment