While I've certainly had Mexican in more upscale settings, I've always been much happier with my cheap Mexican. And after a blah visit to El Agave, I was ready for something cheap and yummy to make up for it!
Miss D and I were already headed to the Solana Beach Farmers Market, so we decided to check out Rudy's Taco Shop nearby. It was *exactly* what we needed -- a little joint in a little strip mall with an outdoor seating area and lots of happy, full people.
As soon as you walk in, you notice the grocery aisles to your left, filled with random Mexican treats, like spicy chicharones, sweet breads, and other delectable items. I resisted the temptation to wander around, especially since I was too starving for words, but it was definitely hard holding back. Thankfully, I'd been prepped by Yelp reviews to save myself for the real food. :)
From the extensive menu posted over the cashier's counter, I decided to try a few different items, just so I wouldn't miss out on anything this time around. With the prices so low (just one dollar sign!), I spent less than $15 for 4 street tacos, a ginormous bowl of menudo, and a 16 oz. cup (the smallest size) of agua fresca.
For the street tacos, I decided to try the carne asada, the carnitas, the pastor, and the tongue. I'm not positive which was which, but all of them were moist, delicious, and super flavorful, with two of them (possibly the carne asada and the pastor) a bit darker in color. The menudo, which is a specialty that's generally only made on weekends, could probably have used a bit more salt and a bit more time soaking in the liquid. The hot soup, though, was perfect for the nippy day. The agua fresca came out of a machine, and it was super duper sweet, so I decided to dilute it with half water. It wasn't finishable, but then again, it was only $1.50. ;)
Service-wise, the food came out super quickly, the staff were really nice, and the outdoor seating provided just the right ambiance. Customer-wise, there were Mexican families waiting in line, random dudes catching up over burritos, and teens finishing up with ice cream sandwiches. A nice little cross-section of society, just the way I like it.
Rudy's Taco Shop
524 Stevens Avenue
Solana Beach, CA 92075
858.755.0788
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment